Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 2

Friday, Oct 8th, day 2.

After the rough night of Jed not sleeping and being really uncomfortable, it didn't really lead into a good day. He was so tired and out of it that at first he couldn't even open his eyes. He couldn't move his face to the left and he couldn't even move his eyes to the left because of the left sided weakness. He was really hating the catheder and offered the night nurse $200 if he would take it out. When the morning nurse came in, he said,
"I"m going to make you the same offer I made the last nurse, I'll pay you $20 bucks if you take this catheder out."
I said," Jed you lowered your price!" and the nurse laughed. She then did an assessment on him and said,
"Jed, do you know where you are?"
"Hell." he said back.
She laughed and then said, "I'm going to listen to your heart ok?"
"Can you hear what its saying?" he said, "Take the catheder out."
The nurse was loving Jed already. And yes, he got his catheder out and was very happy about it.
The surgeon came in early to see how he was doing and said that he should be moving by now, but still nothing. He pinched his arm really hard, and Jed flinched! So we were happy to see that. It actually left quite a good bruise on his arm- no wonder it moved! They took him to get an MRI to make sure the tumor was all gone. We were pretty nervous waiting, we didn't want anything left of that dang thing. Thankfully, the results showed that it was all gone as far as they could tell. Jed was really weak and couldn't even lift up his head. He talked really monotone and soft and he just didn't look or act like himself at all, except that he still had an appetite and scarfed his food when it came. He was still extremely emotional where he would cry out loud. It didn't matter if he was happy or sad. When someone would visit him he would always cry because it meant so much to him. He is left handed and so it was hard for him to hold the utensil in his right hand, he gave up pretty fast and just picked up the food with his hands and shoveled it into his mouth. It reminded me of how a little kid would eat. Later that night I heard Jed swear for the first time that I've ever known him... We had to leave for a couple of hours again for shift change. Jed started to have an anxiety attack when I left and pressed the nurse button a lot because he was scared or uncomfortable. The nurse, Josh, got upset with him for pressing the button so much and they got in a little tiff. When I got back to Jed after the change was over, Jed told me that his nurse was an A-hole but really said the word. That was the beginning of the swearing, and I'm sure Jed will never forget that nurses name, since he mentioned it quite often the next couple of days. We were later told that part of not being able to control your emotions is also saying whatever is on your mind. So if a swear word comes to Jed's mind- it just comes out. I haven't heard the F word yet though thank goodness. :) Actually, besides the one incident with Josh, which I don't really blame him for, Jed has really been a sweetheart and has never gotten upset or mean to anyone. That just shows what a good guy he is- isn't even mean when he can't control whatever comes to his mind. So far, this is not what Jed and I were expecting following his surgery and it was a really rough day not knowing what was going on or why. Mentally and physically- Jed was barely there.

No comments:

Post a Comment