Wednesday, October 13, 2010

D-Day

Thursday, Oct 7th we checked in the hospital at 7 am. They got Jed prepped and all ready and the nerves were pretty strong. Jed was mostly nervous for the After part but I told him not to worry- once the surgerys over, we can move on from this and just rest. They took him in at 11:40. I went to the car and got a good cry out and went back into the waiting room with both of our parents and family. It was only a 3 hour surgery and they had us go up to the ICU for news. The surgeon said that the surgery had gone very well and that the tumor was the size of a large egg! He said it didnt look to be cancerous and was happy with the surgery. They then took me back to see Jed. You always forget that everyone looks really bad after they've just had surgery. His face was really pasty yellow and he had an oxygen mask on still. He was awake and seemed to be really upset, and was sweating really bad. He asked me what went wrong and what was happening to him. I told him that the surgery had gone really good and not to worry and that everything was ok. He was panicking and having a really hard time breathing and kept telling me that something was wrong, that he felt like something was really not right. I hummed him some hymns to help calm him and he started to cry out loud. I wasn't prepared for this and was wondering myself what was going on. I later found out that the part where his tumor was removed controls your emotions and that its very common for patients to be very emotional after a brain surgery. He was also very drugged and was saying some pretty crazy things. Everything he said he was crying out loud while he said it. Some of them were funny and some of them kind of made me feel kind of worried but here are some of the things he said:
"Do you think President Monson will come visit me?"
"Am I holding Jesus's hand?"
"Is Jesus in the room? And aunt Chris and Grandad?" (that actually really scared me)
"I wish I could win the lottery!"
"I LOVE my job! I want to help people. There's so many bad people out there, I just want catch them all"
"I haven't told any secrets have I?"
(to the nurses) "You guys are going to be so blessed for what you do. You help people!
Another funny thing is that he called me Melisa when I first came in and for the rest of the time pretty much. Which is pretty funny cause he doesn't usually call me that even though it is my name, its just always been Missy.

He hated the catheder and was also in a lot of pain. The rest of the day in the ICU was pretty rough. He had some visitors and they were probably alarmed by Jed's appearance. His eyes were kind of dazed. Kind of like how a person who is blind would look at you, his mouth was kind of always a little open, and his left side of his face was pretty droopy. He definately wasn't looking like my Jed. He would cry when anyone would come in the room and wouldn't let me out of his sight. The surgeon came in checked on Jed. He had him wiggle his toes and only his right foot moved. Then he had him lift up his arms and only the right one went up. We were both wondering what was going on but the doc said he was suprised he wasn't moving but that he should be fine by tomorrow. So Jed could feel his left side but could not move it at all. They made us leave for shift change but came out and got me out of the waiting room because Jed was having a panic attack after I left. I stayed with Jed that night and It was one of the longest nights of my life. Jed couldn't sleep and had a lot of anxiety. He was always asking me to caress his face, rub his feet or his hands or anything else that would calm him. Not a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment