Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 15

Thursday, Oct 21, Day 15-

Jed kind of had a rough night again and didn't get very much sleep. I think that's one of the reasons he was down today. He did great in PT and walked without anything supporting his foot and just the cane. He's getting better and better at it, he still has to have someone holding onto the back of him for balance but will probably not need that too soon! He really gets discouraged in OT and sometimes Speech. His arm still is coming slow but she said she can feel his shoulder getting stronger and thats common to be the first muscle to come back. He had her put a dumb bell in his hand to trigger his brain to move something familiar, but no luck. In speech therapy they ask him some problem solving and sequencing and math equations type of things. He gets them right, but has to think about it for a little bit. He gets frustrated because he said he never had to think about those things before, they just came. But they said the brain is still healing and that he's showing great improvement everyday. Since I stayed the night with him, I left after his morning sessions of therapy. I could tell that Jed was really sad and I left feeling really sad myself. I try not to reflect his mood but when he's down, trying not to show it-I'm down. I had the afternoon to spend with Ammon and I took him home and tried to both take a nap. Before I did, I got on my knees and plead with the Lord to please give us comfort. To give us some hope that Jed's arm will do something without stimulation. About 30 minutes later, Jed called me and sounded really happy. I asked how therapy went and he said "great! I did a push up!" I couldn't believe it- I was so excited! It was on his knees of course but it was so huge to me. I really felt like it was an answer to my prayer. Then we got permission to go to out for a couple of hours. I dropped Ammon off at my best friend Brianne's house, who has been helping watch him during all this, (my sweet, dear parents have had him most the time) and met Jed and his mom at 5 Guys Burgers and Fries in Sandy. Jed LOVED it and then we went to my dear old Sonic (I worked there in high school, and yes I skated) and got some milkshakes. Then we went up to my parents and they brought out my sister's new baby and Jed got to hold her for a little bit in the car. Our outing really brightened our day and we had a great rest of the evening together talking about all the things we're going to do when we get home, and when Jed gets better, and how we're going to do so many more things in life. One of the things that we didn't really do before was we hardly ever said family prayers together. We did when we first got married, but I think it only lasted a week! We have had family prayer everynight since we've been here and it has been very special to us. Together we listen as one of us speaks to the Lord and thanks him for our blessings and petitions for his continued help thru this. Jed gives the most incredible prayers. I told him tonight I wish I could write them down, they're so pure and they touch me so deep. He never forgets to express his gratitude for all that we have been blessed with, and never forgets to ask blessings on those who are on this floor or others in need and for all those that have helped us during this time. I'm staying the night with him again and will cross my fingers that we both sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Missy, I was so happy to read this post. I am happy Jed is pulling around. Just remember, there's no fast way around this and baby steps are required. About two months after our wedding, I had a surgery which brought my strength down for about a year. Now I'm all healed up. I hope you continue to blog this experience and continue sharing your insights with us. Much love from the Pinon's

    ReplyDelete